"For I am nothing if not critical." -- Othello 2.1.119

Friday, April 25, 2014

Final Post - Memory

In my first blog post, I offered a confused and somewhat cynical interpretation of memory. At that point, memory seemed like a lofty idea that got thrown around in English classes too much--something more theoretical than practical, too elusive to spend time parsing out. At the beginning, memory also seemed entirely subjective. What is the point of discussing memory if it exists differently for every individual? I wondered how and why one would engage in academic discourse about this subject, as it seemed entirely tied up in emotion and conjecture. That, perhaps, was what drew me to this concept the most. In writing these blogs, I proved myself wrong. It wasn't until I began truly delving into this critical concept that I discovered its richness and its usefulness in discussing Shakespeare.

For Shakespeare, memory is a tool not unlike poetic meter or rhetorical structure. Shakespeare uses memory in his characterization and as a method for establishing conflict. Though I may have only seen memory as a lofty, ineffective concept in literature, for Shakespeare it is entirely productive. By way of memory, Shakespeare can construct the disillusioned England of Henry IV or the kingly expectations that befall Richard II. He orchestrates the raucousness of Comedy of Errors through the use (or misuse) of memory. Memory is the weapon the soldiers wield in Henry IV. Memory is partly responsible for Romeo and Juliet's love affair. Memory perforates Shakespeare on all fronts, and in many different capacities.

Perhaps I struggled to understand memory's significance because it functions differently for Shakespeare than it does for me. Memory for the general public is often unruly and unpredictable. Sometimes memory makes itself known (or disappears momentarily) in the most inconvenient of circumstances. Memory is one of many things in my life that I feel I have no control over. That lack of control can, at times, make me resent my memory. Shakespeare, however, uses memory as an artistic tool and a catalyst for conflict. He manipulates memory in beautiful ways and, through that manipulation, is able to use memory as a tool to create art.

These realizations about memory have inspired me to rethink the term and appreciate its significance as a critical concept in my own life. There are moments when I, too, use memory as a weapon against others. There are also instances when memory brings me immense joy. Memory, too, has inspired my writing innumerable times. Aside from my own life, I also find it interesting to apply this analytical lens to other texts, especially in the contemporary moment. I have so enjoyed analyzing this concept in tandem with my Magical Realism class. Memory is crucial in defining a nation and its subjects. Memory motivates people to do both terrible and wonderful things. And, most important of all, memory is always operating. As I continue to experience things in my daily life, I am also always storing those experiences in my memory to be used later on--oftentimes in very unpredictable ways. After studying Shakespeare's use of memory, I have begun to understand the significance of this concept both in literature and in my daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment